Frequently asked questions

Application process content

Application process

Application process

How do I apply for accommodation?

You can apply for our student accommodation online here. Applications usually open at the start of April each year and offers will be made in May. 

What will you ask in the application form?

When you apply, we’ll ask for key information about you, the course you are coming to study, what type of accommodation you would prefer to stay in (1st and 2nd choices), and other questions about your habits and hobbies. This information is used to process your application, and if you are successful in securing a place, it will also be used to allocate you to a particular flat or house closer to move-in time.

How do you decide who gets a place in the Student Accommodation?

Since we have a limited capacity of 78 places, we cannot guarantee anyone a room. We endeavour to ensure that all applications are treated fairly. When it comes to making offers, we prioritise students using a number of criteria including:

  • Students in their first year of study since leaving school.
  • Students who live a significant distance from the campus.
  • Students who have in-person classes on campus.
  • UHI Perth is also committed to supporting students who are Carers, Care Experienced, or Estranged when possible.

We also consider other factors to ensure a good mix of students in the flats/houses, such as course studied, gender, and age. We will let you know by mid-May if you will be offered a place, but you may find yourself on the waiting list. If that’s the case, there is still a chance of a place becoming available as students change their minds or their circumstances change. However, if you haven’t been offered a place in our student accommodation, we strongly recommend that you start looking at private rentals.

Does it matter if I don’t reply to my offer of accommodation right away?

Yes, it does. Places in our student accommodation are limited and in great demand. It’s really important that you reply to us by the deadline date stated in your accommodation offer email. If you don’t accept within the specified time, we may withdraw our accommodation offer and the room may be offered to someone else.

How much will it cost me?

You can find details of our current rent costs and payment options here.  

Is anything else included in the rent?

Your rent covers internet, wi-fi, gas, electricity, and water.

What does the tenancy agreement look like?

The tenancy agreement is the rent contract between you and the College. Please see our sample tenancy agreement for information.

What is a Guarantor?

A guarantor is someone who agrees to pay your rent (up to the full year’s rent amount) if for any reason you cannot. A guarantor can be a parent/guardian, family member, partner etc so long as they understand they are financially liable for the full year’s rent and any other costs that might be incurred, such as damage to the accommodation while you are living there. Agreeing to be a guarantor is a binding legal commitment. You must have a guarantor unless you can provide evidence that you have financially supported yourself from earnings or benefits for a minimum of 3 years (bank statements will be required as evidence).

Is the accommodation single gender or mixed gender?

The flats within a block are all mixed gender. When you apply, you can state a preference for sharing a flat with students of the same gender and we will always aim to meet this request. We do not allow individuals of different genders to share a twin room. 

I am travelling from overseas.  Will I be placed in a particular flat or building?

No. The students in our accommodation are from a variety of backgrounds and countries. If you apply with friends and both of you let us know in your applications that you would like to share a flat/house, we will try to place you in the same flat/house.

If I don’t like what I have been offered and reject it, will I get another offer?

If you reject your first offer of accommodation, you will be placed at the end of the waiting list, and you might not receive another offer. If the reason you are rejecting your offer is because you have a special need which doesn’t fit with the offer you’ve received, then you should contact us. While we always try to offer an applicant’s first or second choice, due to limited capacity we may offer an alternative accommodation option.

What if I don’t like the accommodation I have been given after moving in?

We ask students to give their accommodation a reasonable trial. A transfer to other accommodation may be possible once the semester is underway, however this is subject to availability of suitable places and your rent amount may be affected.

If I want to move into private accommodation or leave early, can I be released from my tenancy agreement early?

No, your tenancy agreement is a binding contract for the full academic year which includes October, December, and April recess breaks. You are financially liable for the full let period once you have signed your tenancy agreement. See our sample tenancy agreement for more information.

Is there any chance of a vacancy in the student accommodation after the start of the academic session?

There is a chance of this happening if a student withdraws from their course. Please apply to the waiting list if you would like to be notified if accommodation becomes available later.

Can I share with a friend?

If you apply with a friend and both of you let us know in your applications that you would like to share a flat/house, we will try to place you in the same flat/house.

What if I don’t get on with my flatmates?

Sometimes it can take a little time to get used to living with new people. Our on-site accommodation team and our warden are always here to help and can discuss any issues with you. Remember, we also have a really supportive Student Services team on campus.

Do I have to clear out my room during recess breaks?

No. Our student accommodation is open throughout the academic year, including the October, December, and April recess breaks, so you can stay through your entire let period.

How is my personal information handled?

UHI Perth holds information about applicants who apply for, who are offered, and who enter into a contract for UHI Perth owned and managed accommodation. We use the information to administer your application, to generate a contract, to communicate with you, to gather feedback from you, and to inform operational and strategic planning needs. Please see our Privacy Notice - Student Accommodation

Facilities and Accommodation Options content

Facilities and Accommodation Options

Facilities and Accommodation Options

What types of accommodation are available?

We have three blocks of flats and two houses located within the UHI Perth grounds. Each flat can accommodate up to 5 individuals in a mix of single and shared twin bedrooms, and all bedrooms have en-suite shower rooms. Students in each flat share a kitchen and seating area. Each house has 3 single bedrooms, and the occupants share the bathroom, kitchen, and seating area. Entry to each building, flat, and room is secure. All our accommodation is strictly non-smoking and non-vaping.

For more details on what you will find in our accommodation and what we recommend you should bring with you, please see our list of What to pack and other useful information.

I can’t cook. How will I get my meals if I’m in the student accommodation?

All our student accommodation is self-catering. Students who choose to stay in our accommodation should be ready for independent living and should be able to cook for themselves. There are a number of food outlets open on campus Monday-Friday during term-time where you can get breakfast, lunch, and snacks. Complimentary (free) breakfast is available for students in the Brahan and Goodlyburn food courts Monday-Friday 8:30am to 9:15am during term-time.

Brahan Building - The main food court is located in the Brahan and serves hot meals for breakfast and lunch Monday-Friday 8:30am to 2pm. You can choose from hot breakfast rolls, porridge, home-made soup, chef-cooked fresh produce from the service counter, salad bar, a range of hot snacks, and various hot and cold drinks. Or visit the Costa café in the Brahan for a selection of hot and cold drinks and light bites – open Monday-Friday 8:30am to 3:30pm. Alternatively, the Brahan shop offers filled rolls, freshly made soup, and a variety of confectionary, crisps, juice, and household essentials and is open Monday-Friday 8:30am-3pm.

Goodlyburn Building – The Goodlyburn food court is open Monday-Friday 8:30am to 2pm. There you can find a range of hot filled rolls, full breakfasts, granola, yoghurt, and pastries for breakfast. At lunchtime the food court offers high-street favourites alongside classic home comfort dishes, including plant and vegan options. A range of confectionary, cold drinks, sandwiches, soup, and salads are available. There is also a Costa coffee bar offering a selection of hot and cold drinks.

The Starbucks café in the Webster building is open Monday-Thursday 8:30am to 5:30pm and Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm and is another popular location for drinks, food, and socialising.Find out more about our food outlets here.

Being able to cook for yourself is an important life skill and there are lots of good free recipe websites online with affordable recipes, so why not have a try! Just search for “student recipes” and you might discover a whole new talent!

What facilities are available for disabled students?

We have a limited number of rooms that have been adapted for people with restricted mobility and which are suitable for wheelchair users. We appreciate that you may have particular needs and we will always try to make adjustments to help you where possible. If you have a disability and would like to discuss living in our student accommodation, please contact our student accommodation team.

Can you guarantee I will have non-smoking accommodation?

Yes. All of our accommodation is strictly non-smoking and non-vaping, including on balconies. There are designated smoking shelters located across campus.

What about laundry facilities for my personal laundry?

There is a 24-hour, coin-operated, self-service laundry with automatic washing machines and tumble dryers located next to the student accommodation office.

Can I bring my car with me to Perth?

Yes. There is no charge to park in the College car park on campus, but parking is monitored by a 3rd party firm to ensure there is no inappropriate parking (e.g. on double yellow lines or outside marked bays) and fines will be issued to anyone not following the rules.

Can I bring a bicycle with me to Perth?

Yes. The College provides a lockable bike storage space on campus just outside our blocks of flats. We are committed to reducing our carbon footprint and encourage students and staff to use alternative forms of low and no-carbon transport wherever possible. Please note that bicycles cannot be taken into the student accommodation buildings. If you choose to bring a bicycle to campus, please make sure it is covered under your personal contents insurance policy.

Do I need a TV licence in my bedroom?

You will need a TV licence to watch, record, or download any live TV programmes from TV channels, paid TV subscription services, or streaming services. If you watch or download catch-up content on BBC iPlayer, you also need a TV licence. But if you will only be watching on demand or catch-up content on other streaming services (e.g. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus) then you do not need to purchase your own TV licence. Go to: to find out more.

Can I bring my pet with me?

No, we do not allow pets of any kind in the student accommodation.

Can I have an overnight guest in the student accommodation?

Sorry, but this is not permitted. We have a duty of care for all our students, and we need to be sure that only students who live in our accommodation are staying overnight. We have also found that roommates don’t like it when their flat is used by strangers. It’s important to respect others’ space.

What cooking equipment is available and what can I bring into the accommodation?

The shared kitchen in each flat/house is equipped with a hob, oven, fridge and freezer, microwave, toaster, and kettle. Other kitchen gadgets like air fryers, rice cookers, and toastie makers are allowed but please make sure they are in good working order before bringing them in. This means carrying out a simple check of the device, cable, and plug to make sure there’s no sign of damage or deterioration. You will need to bring your own pots, pans, crockery, cutlery, utensils, and tea towels. For more details on what you can find in our accommodation and what we recommend you should bring with you, please see our list of What to pack and other useful information

What else do I need to bring with me?

Think about what you might need day-to-day and check out our list of What to pack and other useful information. There are plenty of supermarkets and shops in Perth where you can pick-up anything you have forgotten or later decide you really need.

Where can I buy food and other essentials?

Perth has several large supermarkets. There is a big Tesco Extra store located along the Crieff Road, an Asda Superstore on Dunkeld Road, and a Co-Op Food store on Rannoch Road. You will find a Farmfoods store just 5 minutes’ walk from campus. There are also large Aldi, Lidl, and Morrison’s stores. The College’s Brahan shop is open Monday-Friday 8:30am to 3pm term-time and offers filled rolls, freshly made soup, and a variety of confectionary, crisps, and newspapers. When it comes to household essentials you may find you end up sharing the purchase of these with your new roommates once you’re settled in.

Where can I study?

The Library is open Monday-Thursday 8am to 8pm, Friday 8am to 4:45pm during term-time and is also open reduced daytime hours during recess breaks (excluding the December Christmas break). Other study spaces are also located across the campus buildings.

What is there to do in the evening?

The Webster student union-link building is open Monday-Friday until 5:30pm. Our fabulous Academy of Sport and Wellbeing offers sports and leisure facilities for students at a discounted rate. This includes a multi-court sports hall, climbing wall, gym, hairdressing and beauty salons. Perth has a number of restaurants, clubs, and music venues. Thursday night is ‘Student Night’ in the town ( Find out more about Perth City and the UHI Perth student life.

Can I bring extra furniture to the student accommodation?

No, additional furniture is not allowed in the student accommodation unless you have prior written permission from the accommodation team.

What happens to my mail?

All mail and parcels for students in the accommodation is delivered to the student accommodation office located near the blocks of flats, which is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please make sure you use your new term-time address when ordering items and let our team know if you are expecting a parcel. When you leave the student accommodation you must make your own arrangements to have your mail forwarded – we do not offer a forwarding service.

If I have a problem, who do I talk to?

If you have any problems or concerns at all then please speak to the on-site accommodation team or our Student Services team. There is a wealth of support available for students at the College.

Payment content



How do I pay my rent?

Home and Rest of UK students – you can pay either the full year’s rent upfront or choose to pay across 9 monthly instalments (1st payment due before move-in, thereafter payments due by the 10th of each month). 

International/Overseas Students – you can pay the full year’s rent upfront or choose to pay per semester across 2 instalments (1st payment due before move-in, second payment due at the start of semester 2).

Payment should be made by BACS bank transfer, and students who choose to pay by instalments are expected to set-up a standing order with their bank. Full details about costs and how you can make payments is available on our costs and payment page.

What if I can’t pay the rent on time?

If you are having difficulties paying your rent, you should contact the accommodation team as soon as possible to discuss your situation. Please don’t leave it until it’s a huge problem. We have an excellent Student Funding team who can provide advice on what help is available from the College or external agencies. Don’t forget that your guarantor is liable for the rent if you can’t pay, so we will contact them if you miss a payment.