Foundation apprenticeships are a work-based learning qualification for secondary school pupils.
These programmes run over the course of S5 and S6 and are a two year commitment. At SCQF Level 6, they are an exciting opportunity supported by Skills Development Scotland (SDS) and the Scottish Funding Council (SFC), and were devlopemed to support greater industry engagement with education with input from the European Social Fund (ESF).
Schools, colleges and employers are now working in partnership to offer senior phase students opportunities to attain industry-recognised qualifications along with academic studies. Each programme on offer will also include a workplace activity, further enhancing skills required within the workplace. On completion of the Foundation Apprenticeship, students will be equipped with an enhanced CV enabling them to make an informed choice of either pursuing a Modern Apprenticeship, going to college or university or moving into employment having gained confidence in their skills for the workplace.
Why do it?
- Get the skills that employers want
- Gain a National Qualification recognised by employers
- Work with local employers
- Step into an exciting and growing industry that needs skilled people
- Complete elements of a Modern Apprenticeship
- Gain experience to boost your CV or college/ university application
- Set out on a great career future
How valuable are they?
Scottish Universities have accepted Foundation Apprenticeships as part of their entry requirements. Each University has statements in their prospectus detailing where the respective Foundation Apprenticeship can be used as part of the entry requirements for a course. Students should check the University's individual prospectus for specific entry requirements of the course in which they are interested.
Find out more
- Listen to our Foundation Apprenticeship Co-ordinator discuss what a Foundation Apprenticeship is all about
- Speak to your school Guidance Teacher
- Contact Emma Bowman, our Foundation Apprenticeship and Schools Programme Coordinator, on 01738 877630 or email@example.com
- Advice for Parents
- Student Spotlights
- Foundation Apprenticeships Presentation
- Skills Development Scotland website for Foundation Apprenticeships
- We also offer Modern Apprenticeships (MAs), which lets individuals work, earn and learn on the job.