Foundation apprenticeships are a new, work-based learning qualification for secondary school pupils.
These programmes run over the course of S5 and S6 and are a two year commitment. At SCQF Level 6, they are an exciting opportunity being developed by Skills Development Scotland to support greater industry engagement with education. Schools, colleges and employers are now working in partnership to offer senior phase students opportunities to attain industry-recognised qualifications along with academic studies.
Each programme on offer will also include a workplace activity, further enhancing skills required within the workplace. On completion of the Foundation Apprenticeship students will be equipped with an enhanced CV enabling them to make an informed choice of either pursuing a Modern Apprenticeship, going to college or university or moving into employment having gained confidence in their skills for the workplace.
Why do it?
- Get the skills that employers want
- Gain a National Qualification recognised by employers
- Work with local employers
- Step into an exciting and growing industry that needs skilled people
- Complete elements of a Modern Apprenticeship
- Gain experience to boost your CV or college/ university application
- Set out on a great career future
How valuable are they?
Scottish Universities have accepted Foundation Apprenticeships as part of their entry requirements. Each University has statements in their prospectus detailing where the respective Foundation Apprenticeship can be used as part of the entry requirements for a course. Students should check the University’s individual prospectus for specific entry requirements of the course in which they are interested.
What courses are on offer?
Find out more
- Speak to your school Guidance Teacher
- Contact Kevin Lamont, Foundation Apprenticeship Coordinator at Perth College UHI on 01738 877714 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Why your child should do a Foundation Apprenticeship
- FA Co-ordinator Powerpoint on Perth College UHI Foundation Apprenticeship courses
- Skills Development Scotland website for Foundation Apprenticeships
- Video aimed at employers created by Skills Development Scotland