Hospitality (SCQF level 7) PDA
What is special about this course?
Professional Development Awards (PDAs) extend or broaden professional or vocational skills and are linked to National Occupational Standards. This PDA Hospitality (SCQF level 7) supports continuing professional development for individuals who hold, or aspire to hold, team leading or supervisory roles within the hospitality industry.
The course is designed to help address the well-documented and ongoing management skills gap in the sector, and is suitable for learners who:
- have relevant experience in the industry but no formal qualifications
- wish to develop knowledge and skills in new areas to enhance career progression
- have partly completed a relevant HNC/D and want recognition for the Units they have successfully completed
Many supervisors and managers in the sector have been promoted to senior positions on the basis of their experience but without qualifications. This PDA will allow them to gain practical and specialist skills at a high level along with certification for the level of work that they are performing.
- Achieve a Level 7 qualification in one semester
- Blended delivery, including face-to-face practical classes and online theory
- Develop a high level of professional, operational and supervisory hospitality skills
- 1 Scottish Higher at Grade C or above OR
- 1 A Level at Grade D or above
- Alternatively, current or prior experience working in the hospitality industry at team leader/supervisor level
- A relevant SVQ at SCQF level 5 or above, eg SVQ 2 Hospitality Services
- National Certificate in Hospitality at SCQF 5
- Different combinations of relevant national or vocational qualifications and equivalent qualifications from other awarding bodies
- You may be invited to attend an interview
Year 1 - PDA
Modules will include:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Food hygiene intermediate
- Hospitality: financial and control systems
- Hospitality industry
- Hospitality supervision
How will I study my course?
- You will learn through a combination of face to face practical lessons learning in the college restaurant and kitchen. In addition there will be video-conference tutorials, and online study via the university's virtual learning environment (VLE), with support from your tutors.
How long will my course last?
- Part-time: 6 months @ 12 hours per week
Number of hours per week indicates the total number of hours you should dedicate to the course, which includes time spent in lectures and your own time spent on individual study and research.
Where can I study my course?
- Inverness College UHI
- Moray College UHI
- Perth College UHI
For information on costs of this course please contact the campus where you wish to study.
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact the relevant UHI partner college for more information.
Students may be required to purchase Chef Whites and Restaurant Uniform for relevant practical sessions (approx £50).
What can I do on completion of my course?
On completion of your course you might like to consider Supervisory/Management roles in:
- Industrial catering
- Residential homes
Can I progress into further study?
You may wish to progress from PDA Hospitality (SCQF Level 7) to the following courses:
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Hospitality (SCQF level 7) PDA
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at the University of the Highlands and Islands. We operate a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of gender, age, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.