What is special about this course?
The hospitality industry is a fantastic industry to be employed, having the skills to work within hotels, restaurants, service management, pubs, clubs, and residential care homes at home or abroad. The industry requires trained staff with excellent customer service skills and knowledge to work in the restaurant, kitchen and events. Our hospitality programmes give you the appropriate training within the Food Court and our award winning training restaurant and kitchens to develop your skills and knowledge to aim for the career you are dreaming of. You will also enjoy working in partnership with local employers including Sodexo and The Gleneagles Hotel.
Applicants may have Core Skills at Int 1/National 4 in Communications, Numeracy and IT. You will also be invited to attend an interview and practical skills test. It would be helpful to have an SVQ 1 but not essential.
This qualification gives a good grounding to be employed within hospitality, tourism and events and includes:
- Worldhost principles of customer service;
- BIIAB staff training qualification for the service of alcohol;
- Table service of food and drink;
- Silver service;
- Converting a room for dining;
- Preparing and serving wines;
- Providing a buffet/carvery service
- Working effectively as part of a team;
- Customer care;
- Preparing, cooking and presenting food for service in the restaurant;
- Setting up and closing a kitchen;
- Food hygiene
- REHIS Elementary health and safety;
- Core skills including numeracy, ICT and communication;
- Personal development planning
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
Face to face teaching; practical hands on
How long will my course last?
Where can I study my course?
- Perth College UHI
Most full-time students will have their fees paid.
Students on part-time courses may also be eligible to have their course fees waived.
What can I do on completion of my course?
You may apply to progress to SVQ 3 Professional Chef Gold, HNC Hospitality or Professional Cookery or a modern apprentice work based programme of study. Higher Food Hygiene, Communications and IT is required to progress to HNC.
Career options include: junior supervisory positions within the restaurant in small hospitality and tourism establishments, careers within events, kitchens and food and beverage.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.