What is special about this course?
The course combines two SQA units:
- Literature 1
- Communication 4
Together, these two units are accepted by a number of colleges and universities as an equivalent qualification to Higher English. If you intend to use the qualification in this way, please check with the course leader for which you will be using it that this qualification is acceptable.
The candidate would be expected to have achieved English SCQF Level 5 (Intermediate 2). Entry will be at the discretion of the College.
Whereas Higher English concentrates on the literary aspects of the language, the combination of Literature 1 and Communication offer alternative language skills. Literature 1 aims to help you enjoy novels, plays and poetry, while Communication offers practical skills in reading, writing, listening and presentation that are transferable into both study and commercial situations.
There are three learning outcomes:
Critical analysis and essay writing - write a critical analysis essay on a text of your choice (any genre)
Critical analysis and essay writing - write a critical analysis essay on a text of your choice (different genre to that used previously)
Textual analysis - respond to critical analysis questions in an unseen text (timed/supervised)
The following provides details of the topics covered:
- Reading - Summarising and evaluating complex written communication
- Writing - Producing formal reports (650+ words) using appropriate language and structure conventions
- Listening - Summarising and evaluating complex verbal communication (solo speaker)
- Listening - Summarising and evaluating complex verbal communication (multiple speakers)
- Talking - Planning and delivering a complex oral communication (8+ minutes)
- Talking - Organising and contributing to a group discussion on a complex topic
How will I study my course?
- Distance learning
Distance learning and/or online
How long will my course last?
Where can I study my course?
- Perth College UHI
Flexible start dates
Most full-time students will have their fees paid.
Students on part-time courses may also be eligible to have their course fees waived.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Career opportunities may include Teacher Training
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.