Diploma in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles Level 5
What is special about this course?
This year 1 of the programme; “L5 Light Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Principles” provides an excellent grounding of both theory and practical skills, required to remove and replace various components across a range of systems, as detailed in the contents section.
Year 2 of the programme; “L7 Light Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Principles” focuses on the knowledge and skills required to diagnose and rectify complex faults in major vehicle systems. Where by successful completion will lead to attainment of 2x industry recognised qualifications for the motor trade.
Both the L5 and L7 Light Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Principles programmes, form part of the light vehicle technician modern apprenticeship route. Where attaining either, or both of these, qualifications on a full-time basis, will simplify a modern apprenticeship route within industry.
With the changes in industry towards electrical and hybrid vehicle technology you will also covers a new unit in Electric and Hybrid vehicle technology, ensuring you have the base knowledge for working safely on these vehicles.
Similar to all other programmes the course includes the relevant core skills Numeracy, Communications and ICT Information and Communication Technology, as typically required for modern apprenticeship attainment
You should have two-four qualifications at SCQF Level 4/5 or equivalent and you will be asked to undertake an aptitude test and discuss your application with a member of college staff.
You can also progress onto this course with a relevant Entry Level 3 Certificate
You will undertake the following units towards attainment of the “L5 Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles” from IMI awards;
- Knowledge of Health, Safety and Good Housekeeping in the Automotive Environment
- Skills in Health, Safety and Good Housekeeping in the Automotive Environment
- Knowledge of Support for Job Roles in the Automotive Environment
- Skills in Supporting Job Roles in the Automotive Environment
- Knowledge of Materials, Fabrication, Tools and Measuring Devices used in the Automotive Environment
- Skills in Material, Fabrication, Tools and Measuring Devices used in the Automotive Environment
- Knowledge of Light Vehicle Electrical Units and Components
- Skills in Removing and Replacing Light Vehicle Electrical Units and Components
- Knowledge of Light Vehicle Fuel, Ignition, air and Exhaust System Units and Component
- Skills in Removing and Replacing Light Vehicle Engine Units and Components
- Knowledge of Routine Light Vehicle Maintenance
- Skills in Routine Light Vehicle Maintenance
- Knowledge of Light Vehicle Engine Mechanical, Lubrication and Cooling System Units and Components
- Knowledge of Light Vehicle Chassis Units and Components
- Skills in Removing and Replacing Light Vehicle Chassis Units and Components
- Knowledge of Inspecting Light Vehicles Using Prescribed Methods
- Skills in Inspecting Light Vehicles Using Prescribed Methods
- Knowledge of Light Vehicle Transmission and Driveline Units and Components
- Knowledge in Carrying Out Non High Voltage Operations On, Near or With an Electric Vehicle **New for 2023 onwards**
- Information and Computing Technology L5
- Communications L5
- Numeracy L5
- Practical portfolio building
You will gain excellent knowledge on how these vehicle systems function, and using modern tools and equipment, you will leave this course with excellent knowledge and variety of transferable skills to apply for modern apprenticeships in the trade.
Achievement is determined by successfully completing practical observations and circa 12x online assessments taken throughout the academic year.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
Full Time - Mainly face to face teaching with an element of practical hands-on approach to workshop activities, and an expectation for online and independent study to support the theory elements of the programme.
How long will my course last?1 Year
Where can I study my course?
- UHI Perth
Most full-time students will have their fees paid.
Students on part-time courses may also be eligible to have their course fees waived.
What can I do on completion of my course?
If you successfully complete this programme you will leave with a Level 5 technical award in vehicle maintenance and repair principles from the awarding body IMI (The Institute of the Motor Industry), which is recognised nationally for trade-based awards.
This course forms part of a modern apprenticeship programme as a vehicle technician, where attaining this on a full-time basis may greatly simplify a modern apprenticeship route into the vehicle technician industry.
This course can also be used as a steppingstone towards entry for the more theory based L7 Light Vehicle Maintenance & Repair.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Diploma in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles Level 5
We are no longer accepting applications for 2023/24
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at Perth College UHI. Perth College UHI operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.