What is special about this course?
The BEng (Hons) Aircraft Engineering course is an exciting degree that will equip you with an in-depth engineering knowledge across a broad range of modern aeronautical technologies.
If you have decided on an exhilarating career as an aircraft engineer, this course will provide the knowledge and skills you need to analyse complex aircraft engineering situations and solve aeronautical engineering problems.
The degree is currently going through a re-accreditation process with the Royal Aeronautical Society.
- The degree is highly relevant to modern aircraft industries and we have good links with the aviation industry
- Designed to include a high proportion of practical activities relevant to the topics studied
- Features non-teaching 'design weeks' that run in each term, which involve finding solutions to practical, 'real-life' engineering problems
For September 2019, entry to this course is not available into year one. Entry to year two is available with the following:
- Successful completion of the HNC Aircraft Engineering with a minimum grade B in the Graded Unit, or a related discipline at an appropriate level OR
- Advanced Highers or A levels: BBC including Maths and Physics at grade B
- You will also undertake a period of preparatory tuition which may take the form of a pre-course summer school or run alongside your year 2 studies
Direct entry to year 3:
- Successful completion of the HND Aircraft Engineering (with a grade B in the Graded Unit 2), OR
- An HND/DipHE award in another engineering discipline; OR
- Applicants who are currently (or very recently) working within the aircraft maintenance industry, with a minimum of two years' experience as a certifying Licenced Aircraft Engineer, may be considered for level 9 entry on a case by case basis.
Direct entry to year 4:
- In certain circumstances, entry to the honours year may be possible with a BEng/BSc in an engineering-related discipline. This will be subject to normal university regulations for Recognition of Prior Learning and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Year 1 - CertHE
Core modules are:
- Core maths 1
- Statics and dynamics 1
- Electrical and electronics 1
- Engineering skills 1
- Thermodynamics and fluids 1
- Aircraft engineering systems
Year 2 - DipHE
Core modules are:
- Aircraft systems: materials and structures
- Aircraft systems: electrical and avionics
- Aviation systems: propulsion and power transfer
- Engineering mathematics 2
- Engineering computing and laboratory skills
- Applied aerodynamics
Year 3 - BEng
Core modules are:
- Group project
- Aircraft and engine performance 1
- Aircraft maintenance and reliability
- Airline operations and quality management
Year 4 - BEng (Hons)
Core modules are:
- Engineering project and project management
- Avionics and aircraft computer systems 2
- Aircraft and propulsion systems 2
- Quality systems and airworthiness management
- Air transport operations and management
How will I study my course?
- You will learn through a combination of face-to-face lectures and tutorials, laboratory and simulation exercises, practical workshops, and online study via the university's virtual learning environment (VLE), with support from your tutors
- You will also undertake case studies and individual assignments, group work, project work and directed study
How long will my course last?
- Full-time: 4 years @ 40 hours per week
Number of hours per week indicates the total number of hours you should dedicate to the course, which includes time spent in lectures and your own time spent on individual study and research.
Where can I study my course?
- Perth College UHI
For students normally domiciled in Scotland or the European Union/EEA (outside of the UK) and with a term time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
|Full-time (120 credit modules) per year||£1,820||£1,820|
|Part-time (structured) (3 x 20 credit modules) per year||£645||£645|
|Part-time (unstructured per module) (per 20 credit module)||£215||£215|
Rest of UK students
For students normally domiciled in the rest of the UK (England, Wales and N. Ireland) and with a term time address in Scotland studying this course full time, the following fees apply:
**4th year free only for students studying full-time who have paid for the previous 3 years at the University of the Highlands and Islands.
Part-time (per 20 credit module) - £1,500 (2018-19 and 2019-20).
Fees are payable in advance each academic year unless otherwise agreed.
There are a number of funding options available to UK and EU students to help you pay for your studies and your cost of living whilst studying.
For students who do not normally reside in the UK or European Union and with a term-time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
|Full-time per year (120 credit modules) per year||£12,200||£12,800|
|Part-time (structured) (3 x 20 credit modules) per year**||£6,100||£6,420|
|Part-time (unstructured per module) (per 20 credit module)**||£2,034||£2,140|
**There is no part-time study option for Tier 4 sponsored international. students.
Further information on international course fees.
A no fee increase guarantee is available for self-funding full-time and structured part-time RUK and International undergraduate students for continuous and contiguous study for the same award, up to the permitted standard time limit for the relevant award.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Once you have successfully completed your BEng (Hons) Aircraft Engineering course, you might like to consider careers:
- in Engineering Management
- as an Aircraft Design Engineer
- as an Aircraft Stress Engineer
- as a Performance Engineer
- in Engineering Procurement and Asset Management
- as a Technical Services or Support Engineer
- as a Reliability and Planning Engineer
- as a Propulsion Engineer
- as a Quality and Safety Engineer
- as an Aircraft Systems Engineer
- as an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
- in Aircraft and Equipment Sales
- as an Operations and Logistics Manager
Can I progress into further study?
On successful completion of the BEng (Hons) Aircraft Engineering you may progress to the MBA Aviation.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.