Dr Ronnie Goodman
Lecturer - Music
- Lecturer and Researcher in Popular Music
- Leader: Rhythm Wave
- PAT Popular Music BA(Hons) Year 3
- MSc by Research in Music, Edinburgh University
- Graduate Diploma in Jazz, Leeds College of Music
- PG Cert Teaching in Higher Education, University of Dundee
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Associate Member of PRS for Music
- Member of Musicians Union
- Member of EIS
- 01738 877427
- Visit Room 524, Goodlyburn Building
- Community Music
- Ensemble Performance
- Percussion and drumkit instrumental lessons
- Currently studying a PhD in Musicology at the University of Évora, Portugal. 2013 – present.
- Research Paper delivered at STMI (International Symposium on Instrumental Music Teaching) Conference, University of Évora, Portugal: Dec 2013)
- Attended the CMPCP (Centre for Music Performance as Creative Practice) international conference at Cambridge University in July 2011.
- Research trips to Brazil 1993, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2008 & 2010.
- Collaboration/performance with international Galician piper Carlos Nunez, Celtic Connections Festival Glasgow: Jan 2009. (Involving Perth College students and alumni).
- 6month UHI Sabbatical in North East Brazil (2008) studying the music and culture of the ‘Zona da Mata’: written up for Edinburgh University MSc by Research thesis: 2008/9
- Private study of Brazilian Portuguese language: 1993 to present.Researcher for LfLFE (Literacies for Learning) Project collaborating with Stirling and Lancaster Universities: 2004/5. Co-author of journal articles for the LfLFE project in RAPAL journal and others.
Employment history and grants
- Funding achieved for Community based projects (Knowledge Transfer) such as ABC Musical Alba (see above). International exchange funding. Erasmus training at Universidade de Évora, Portugal April 2011.
- Artistic Director of “ABC Musical Alba” trans cultural/musical international exchange project with Brazil featuring collaboration with renowned musician Naná Vasconcelos and YMI community project of 100 Perthshire children (10/11yrs old): May/Sept 2010. Stakeholders/ funders: Perth and Kinross Council, Youth Music Initiative Scotland, Creative Scotland Inspiring Communities fund, Horsecross Arts Perth, Perth 800 celebrations, Perth College UHI international project exchange, Bòrd na Gàidhlig Peairt, UHI Sabbatical fund.
- Nine years experience of co-ordinating Youth Music Initiative Brazilian percussion in the Saturday Cool School project for P6/7 children across six centres in Perthshire.
- Freelance professional musician: 1975 – present. Touring and recording with Scottish bands and artists such as Capercaillie, Love and Money, Hue and Cry etc. Recording sessions with international producers Gary Katz (of Steely Dan), Tom Dowd (who produced Aretha Franklin, Bee Gees, Stevie Wonder), Donal Lunny (of Moving Hearts, Planxty) and other luminaries.
- Touring theatre musician with London West End shows; Godspell, Rocky Horror Show and Joseph and the Technicolour Dreamcoat and with Cambridge University Footlights Theatre Company at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
- Composer of music for professional theatre (Plymouth Theatre Royal, Traverse Theatre Edinburgh etc). Composer for dance performances (Scottish Arts Council commissions).