Alasdair joined the Centre for Mountain Studies in October 2017 as a PhD student. His research is focused on the potential for the refurbishment of historic hydro power generation for the benefit of local communities in the Highlands & Islands region.
- BSc (Hons) Archaeology, University of Aberdeen
- MSc Information Management & Preservation (Digital), University of Glasgow
- +44 (0) 1738 877762
- Visit Top floor, Webster Building
- Follow Alasdair on Twitter @AlasdairBachell
Career and Research history
- Archivist for the energy provider SSE, and assisted with the founding of the company archive in August 2015 and the company's new visitor centre in Pitlochry, which is focused on the history of the major hydro-electric schemes built in Scotland in the mid-20th century.
- Work placements as assistant archivist for Perth & Kinross Council Archive and records management assistant with Scottish Natural Heritage.
- Data Analyst for SSE working with various mapping systems to improve power systems response times.
- Background in archaeology and archives, in particular the impacts and issues of archiving digital media.
- Won the Digital Preservation Coalition Award for "Most Distinguished Student Work in Digital Preservation" in 2014 for his MSc dissertation exploring records management and digital preservation in the UK games industry.
Bachell, A., and Barr, M. (2014) Video game preservation in the UK: a survey of records management practices. International Journal of Digital Curation, 9 (2). pp. 139-170.