What we do:
If you require communication support for your timetabled classes, you should remember that your Communication Support Worker will:
- Interpret for you: Hearing learners and college staff. Everything that is said or signed
- Sign for you: Hand-outs
- Book out: Camera and other equipment for assessments
- Explain the differences in D/deaf and hearing cultures to learners and staff as required.
Additional Support and Information
A series of British Sign Language videos on mental health can be found here. They aim to help breakdown the stigma of mental health issues and encourage deaf people to talk to others about their mental health. These were produced by a partnership of organisations including Deaf Scotland, Deaf Links, and See Me.
Contact Scotland provide a service connecting BSL users - through an online video relay service - with Scotland's public authorities, voluntary sector, and others.
Interpreting Solutions provide a range of services to D/deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals around the UK. This includes;
- Language Professional Service (Communication Support Workers, British Sign Language Interpreters, Notetakers, Palantypists, Deaf Relay Interpreters, Deaf Blind Interpreters, Lip Speaking Interpreters, Teachers of the Deaf and Specialist Mentors, and Advocacy to potential students)
- Deaf Student Recruitment (Interpreting Solutions are a specialist agency involved in the recruitment of deaf and hard of hearing students; this is done by supporting students with UCAS, SFE and DSA)
Additional Support Team
Perth College UHI, Crieff Road Perth, PH12NX