Engineering, Science and Technology
Centre for Advanced Engineering content
Centre for Advanced Engineering
(updated since last report)
- Extension of the research performed for the Sahara Force India Formula 1 team to aerospace applications. Working with Airbus and Boeing to assess the use of an image-processing algorithm to extract data from aeronautical wind tunnel tests.
- Optimisation of energy solutions for remote and rural locations. NPA project involving Argyll College and SAMS: consortium building process underway.
New areas of research activity
(highlighting partners in collaboration)
- Design of a new loitering Uninhabited Air Vehicle (UAV) using a novel buoyancy-based propulsion system. Innovate UK project with several industrial and academic partners, to commence in Feb/Mar 2016
- Aerodynamics consultancy (subject to an NDA) for the English Institute of Sport
- Andrew Rae is currently working on the technical committees of three conferences: Royal Aeronautical Society bi-annual Aerodynamics Conference ‘Evolution & Innovation Continues: Evolution & Innovation Continues - The Next 150 Years of Concepts, Design and Operations’, Bristol, 19th – 21st July 2016; International Conference on Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering (ICMAE 2015), Singapore, Dec 12-14, 2015; and the International Conference on Design Engineering and Science (ICDES 2016) hosted by University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 27th - 29th February, 2016.
(including public lectures and on-line seminars)
- Abstract for paper on “The Creation of Airline Services in the Northern and Western Isles of Scotland, their Impact and Legacy” selected for Firths and Fjords: Coastal History Conference, Dornoch, 31 March – 2 April 2016