The Digital Academy shortlisted

Perth College UHI has been shortlisted for a national award in recognition of their impact on developing students’ digital skills.

see full size image
PKC Digital Academy students, their lecturers and guests enjoying an Afternoon Tea at Perth College UHI to celebrate successful completion of the course

The College was shortlisted in the Skills Development Award category at this year’s CDN College Awards 2022, which “recognise the talent, innovation and achievement demonstrated by colleges, their staff and their learners.”

The project, entitled: “The Digital Academy’, run in partnership with Perth and Kinross Council, created a valuable opportunity for the development of digital skills for those furthest from employment. The overarching aim was to develop skills required to enable learners to contribute to the regional economy.

Jill Elder, Sector Development Director said: “Learners were supported to develop digital skills across a range of technologies through a six-week college programme. This enabled them to gain confidence to engage with digital employment opportunities in the region.

“The programme was delivered face-to-face to encourage interpersonal development and peer working but when required learners could switch to a hybrid approach to ensure continuity of learning whilst also preparing them for today’s workplace. This flexible approach suited the learners, attendance and engagement was very positive with a 100% completion of the programme.”

Jamie May, Senior Project Officer, Perth & Kinross Council added: “All learners successfully completed a relevant work placement and enjoyed the experience. 65% of the learners joined a full-time college course this month and the remaining 35% continue to be supported by the team to move into employment, a successful and positive outcome for all. With an ever-changing labour market, the students who took part in the course added to their skill set and increased their employability and progression prospects.”