What is special about this course?
This online postgraduate CPD award in water management is aimed at staff either employed directly by, or as consultants to, water-related industries such as public water supply, hydropower, beverages (including brewing and distilleries) and agriculture. It is particularly suitable for those employed as environmental managers and technical staff such as water resource practitioners, hydrologists and environmental scientists. It also provides relevant CPD for government agency staff such as the environment and conservation agencies where their remit covers the water environment.
It can help those involved in water management understand the background against which the regulation of the water environment has been set and explores the way all stakeholders have a role to play in securing the benefits we get from a healthy water environment both now and in the future as we adapt to climate change.
- Explore concepts of sustainable water management from both scientific and regulatory perspectives, including best practice case studies of how the needs of the water user can be met without compromising the other benefits that a healthy water environment provides our society.
- Flexible study, this module is delivered fully online and is based around a weekly presentation posted on the virtual learning environment along with accompanying learning resources such as papers and web links. You will also use web resources, such as YouTube videos and interactive web sites, for extracting and analysing environmental data.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant subject
- Other qualifications will be considered for those with a minimum of three years relevant professional experience
The module learning outcome are:
- Understand fundamentals of hydrological processes, monitoring and analysis in terms of both water quantity and quality
- Identify and understand the range of issues related to integrated water management within the rural and mountain environments
- Discuss the potential of application of appropriate tools used in water management
- Analyse and discuss relevant case studies, which illustrate different catchment water management approaches
How will I study my course?
- Part Time
Students on this programme currently have the opportunity to attend the Integrated Land Use Conference.
You will study through supported online learning using the university's virtual learning environment (VLE). You will have the opportunity to share information and experience with other students from a range of backgrounds and perspectives. You will be assessed on a report on a published paper, the preparation of a catchment management plan, and evaluation of contributions to the discussion board.
You will be supported by the Centre for Mountain Studies, Perth College UHI. For more information on the centre and courses available, please contact email@example.com or +44 (0)1738 877761.
How long will my course last?
Part-time: 15 weeks starting in January
Where can I study my course?
- Perth College UHI - This module is fully online. You will be enrolled at and receive support from Perth College UHI
The following fees apply to this taught postgraduate CPD award:
|2019-20||Scottish (online)||EU/EEA/Rest of the UK (online)||International (online)|
|CPD award (20 credit module)||£560||£650||£960|
|2018-19||Scottish (online)||EU/EEA/Rest of the UK (online)||International (online)|
|CPD award (20 credit module)||£560||£650||£900|
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact the relevant UHI partner college for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
The module gives valuable academic recognition that can enhance employment opportunities. Professionals working in water management can use the learning outcomes to develop their own working practices.
Can I progress into further study?
This module is part of the MSc Sustainable Mountain Development and, after successful completion of the CPD award, you may want to consider building to the postgraduate certificate, postgraduate diploma or the full masters award.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.