What is special about this course?
- Adults (aged 16+) wishing to pursue a career in the health and fitness sector as gym-based fitness instructors
- Please note that 16 to 18 year-olds may need to be supervised in the workplace, once they have achieved the qualification
- To train learners to a professionally competent level, enabling them to prescribe, plan and deliver safe and effective exercise programmes within a gym or health club environment
- To develop learner’s knowledge of anatomy and physiology and how it relates to exercise and fitness
- To develop learner’s ability to plan and deliver safe and effective gym sessions
- To provide learners with the knowledge to develop good customer service and the personal qualities required by the exercise and fitness industry
- To provide learners with an awareness of health and safety in an exercise and fitness environment
- To provide learners with the opportunity to progress to further qualifications in the exercise and fitness industry
- Some experience of gym-based exercises, including free weights, is highly recommended
- The course requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential; therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary
- There is also an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication pitched at level 2
This qualification comprises of 6 mandatory units
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise
- Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
- Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health
- Preparing for gym-based exercise
- Instructing gym-based exercise
Successful achievement of all six units must be achieved for the full qualification.
How will I study my course?
- Part Time
- Distance learning
Online and face to face
How long will my course last?
Mixture of distance learning and part time face to face for practical sessions. You must attend all practical sessions
Where can I study my course?
- Perth College UHI
Theory from January 2017
Practical from April 2017 and dates include:
Friday 28th April 2017,
Friday 5th, 12th and 19th May 2017
Exam Friday 9th June
Most full-time students will have their fees paid.
Students on part-time courses may also be eligible to have their course fees waived.
What can I do on completion of my course?
- This qualification provides progression to Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Instructing Exercise and Fitness, for learners who wish to develop and demonstrate occupational competence in gym instruction
- Alternatively, it provides progression to Level 3 qualifications in Personal Training for learners who wish to further their knowledge and skills and become personal trainers working with specialist populations as well as the general population
- Learners may also progress on to the Active IQ Level 3 Certificate in Sports Massage, where they will be provided with the knowledge and skills to practice sports massage alongside gym instructing in the health club environment
- Learners may also broaden their knowledge and skills by progressing to Level 2 qualifications in Instructing Circuits, Exercise to Music and Aqua
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.