What is special about this course?
Target Learners - Adults (aged 16+) wishing to pursue a career in the health and fitness sector as studio based fitness instructors (please note that 16-18 years olds may need to be supervised in the workplace, once they have achieved).
To train learners to a professionally competent level, enabling them to prescribe, plan and deliver safe and effective exercise classes in a health club environment.
- To develop learner’s knowledge of anatomy and physiology and how it relates to exercise and fitness
- To develop learner’s ability to plan and deliver safe and effective exercise to music sessions
- To provide learners with the knowledge to develop good customer service and the personal qualities required by the exercise and fitness industry
- To provide learners with an awareness of health and safety in an exercise and fitness environment
- To provide learners with the opportunity to progress to further qualifications in the exercise and fitness industry
- Some experience of studio-based exercise classes is highly recommended;
- The course requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential; therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary;
- There is also an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication pitched at Level 2.
This qualification comprises of 6 mandatory units:
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise
- Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
- Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health
- Planning group exercise to music sessions
- Instructing group exercise to music sessions
Successful achievement of all six units must be achieved for the full qualification.
How will I study my course?
- Part Time
- Distance learning
Online and face to face
How long will my course last?
Mixture of distance learning and part time face to face for practical sessions.
Where can I study my course?
- Perth College UHI
You must attend practical sessions:
Dates ETM 2017:
Friday 3rd, 10th, 17th and 24th February (1-4pm)
Friday 3rd, 10th, 17th and 24th March (1-4pm)
Exam Friday 5th May (9-5pm)
Most full-time students will have their fees paid.
Students on part-time courses may also be eligible to have their course fees waived.
What can I do on completion of my course?
- This qualification provides progression to Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Instructing Exercise and Fitness, for learners who wish to develop and demonstrate occupational competence in group exercise to music instruction;
- Alternatively, it provides progression to Level 3 qualifications in Pilates or Personal Training for learners who wish to further their knowledge and skills and become personal trainers working with specialist populations as well as the general population;
- Learners may also progress on to the Active IQ Level 3 Certificate in Sports Massage, where they will be provided with the knowledge and skills to practice sports massage alongside fitness instructing in the health club environment;
- Learners may also broaden their knowledge and skills by progressing to Level 2 qualifications in instructing Circuits, Step and Aqua.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.