Mohammed Saif Al-Kalbani, PhD Student
- M.Sc. in Environmental Sciences / Engineering, Sultan Qaboos University, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
- B.Sc. in Soil and Water Sciences / Management, Sultan Qaboos University, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Mohammed S. Al-Kalbani joined the Centre for Mountain Studies in June 2011 as a PhD Student under the supervision of Professor Martin Price.
- Director - Environment and Sustainable Development Department, Ministry of Environment and Climate Affairs, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
- Head - Environmental Data and Indicators Section, Ministry of Environment and Climate Affairs, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
- Environmental Affairs Specialist - Ministry of Regional Municipalities, Environment, and Water Resources, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman.
- Research Assistant - Sultan Qaboos University,Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Selected Research Projects:
- Managing Fragile Ecosystems for Sustainable Jebel Akhder Mountain Development.
- Comparative Performance of Hydrophobic Siloxane Polymer and Hydrophilic Gel-Forming Copolymer on Intermittent Evaporation, Water Distribution and Salt Leaching Through Soil Columns
- Electro-kinetics to Manage Nitrate Movement In Irrigated
- Soils of the Sultanate of Oman
Mist Catcher Project during Monsoon Season (Khareef) in the Governorate of Dhofar.
Membership in Societies and Commitees:
- Oman Sports and Environment Committee, January 2009 - Present.
- Member of Jurors for Ford Motor Company Conservation and Environmental Grants in the GCC and Levant Countries, September 2008 - September 2010.
- Oman Environment Society, January 2007 - Present.
Sustainable Development Indicators Committee, September 2003 - Present.
- Engineering Society of Oman, January 2003 - Present.
Geological Society of Oman, January 2002 - Present.
- College Newsletter and Events Bulletin Committee, College of Agriculture, Sultan Qaboos University: Member and representative for graduate and undergraduate students’ cultural activities, 1996 - 2000.
- Photographic Society, Deanship of Students Affairs, Sultan Qaboos University: Member of the Nights and Exhibitions Committee, 1996 – 2000.
- ScienceWise.com, the workplace on the web for science, research and engineering professionals.
List of publications
Abdul-Wahab, S.A. and Mohammed S. Al-Kalibani. 2010. Chapter 1: Analysis of Low-Level Temperature Inversions in Some of GCC Countries: Developing a Template for Characterization of Long Term Analysis of Climate Change and Global Warming in the Region. John M. Castillo (Edt.), Relative Humidity: Sensors, Management and Environmental Effects, Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
Abdul-Wahab, S. A., H. Al-Hinai, K. A. Al-Najar, and Mohammed S. Al-Kalbani. 2009. Fog and Rain Water Collection from Trees in the Dhofar Region in the Sultanate of Oman. The Journal of Engineering Research, Vol. 6 (1): 51 - 58.
Abdul-Wahab, S. A., H. Al-Hinai, K. A. Al-Najar, and Mohammed S. Al-Kalbani. 2007. Fog Water Harvesting: Quality of Fog Water Collected for Domestic and Agricultural Use. Environmental Engineering Science, Vol. 24 (4): 446 - 456.
Abdul-Wahab, S. A., H. Al-Hinai, K. A. Al-Najar, and Mohammed S. Al-Kalbani. 2007. Feasibility of Fog Water Collection: A Case Study from Oman. Practical Paper. Journal of water Supply: Research and Technology-AQUA 56.4: 275 - 280.
Al-Rawahy, S.A., H. A. Abdel Rahman, and M. S. Al-Kalbani. 2004. Cabbage (Brassica oleracea L.) Response to Soil Moisture Regime under Surface and Subsurface Point and Line Applications. International Journal of Agriculture & Biology, Vol. 6 (6) : 1093 - 1096.
Ahmed, M., M. L. Sharma., Q. D. Richards and M. S. Al-Kalbani. 2001. Sampling Soil Water in Sandy Soils: Comparative Analysis of Some Common Methods. Mills, H. A. (Edt.), Communications In Soil Science and Plant Analysis: 32 (11&12): 1677 - 1686.
Al-Kalbani, M. S., P. Cookson, and Hayder AbdelRahman. 2001. Novel Approaches To Soil Water Management Using A Hydrophobic Siloxane Polymer. Fifth Gulf Water Conference, Doha, State of Qatar, 24th - 28th March 2001, pp: 531 - 545.
Al-Kalbani, M. S. 2000. Comparative Performance of Hydrophobic Siloxane Polymer and Hydrophilic Gel-Forming Copolymer on Intermittent Evaporation, Water Distribution and Salt Leaching Through Soil Columns. Thesis. Sultan Qaboos University, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman.
Ahmed, M., S. A. Al-Rawahy., M. S. Al-Kalbani., and J. K. Al-Handaly. 1999. Leaching Potential of Some Omani Soils: Soil Column and Drip Irrigation Studies. Sultan Qaboos University Journal for Scientific Research “Agricultural and Marine Sciences”: 4 (2): 65 - 70.
Al-Rawahy, S. A., and M. S. Al-Kalbani. Electro-kinetics to Manage Nitrate Movement In Irrigated Soils of the Sultanate of Oman.